Site icon The Irish Aesthete

Incongruous



South of Enniscorthy and close to the banks of the river Slaney, the Cambro-Norman Fitzhenrys are believed to have built Macmine Castle, County Wexford in the 13th century and remained on the site until the confiscations of the 1650s after which it eventually passed into the hands of the King family. In 1835, it was described as ‘an old ruin by the river’ but after being purchased through the Incumbered Estates Courts in 1860, the castle was rebuilt and enlarged by John Richards. It was presumably around the same time that this splendid castellated gateway was constructed, the architect responsible unknown. Today, the castle is an abandoned ruin and behind the gateway, as J.A.K. Dean has observed, ‘a modern bungalow occupies the site of the Kings’ gate lodge.’ Above the arch, a plaque reads ‘Magh-Mayne Castle Erected 1290.’



The Irish Aesthete is generously supported by

Exit mobile version