A pocket Gothick house on Castle Road, forming the upper portion of O’Mahoney Avenue in Bandon, County Cork. This is one of a six such properties located immediately outside the demesne wall of Castle Bernard, former home of the Earls of Bandon, which was burnt out in June 1921 (see A-Bandon « The Irish Aesthete). Originally a classical house, around 1815 Castle Bernard was given a gothic makeover by an unknown architect, and these two-storey cottages. of rough cast stone with ornamental brick surrounds on the door and windows, were presumably built at some date thereafter to reflect that style; the architect responsible is unknown, and it seems impossible to find any further information about them. While some are still occupied, others have sadly been allowed to fall into ruin.
Wonderful windows! Sad to see the derelict house as looking at the size of the town and real estate in the area, it should be able to support a renovation, although that one may be too far gone. To see a great renovation of the same period house (NO white paint on ‘brown’ wood!), look for Gurteen House. Modernized where it is needed- kitchen, baths and so forth. Now hope those who buy it keep it that way.
[…] Irish Aesthete featured ‘A Pocket Gothick’ house in Bandon recently on his blog, one of six such properties originally located outside the walls of Castle Bernard, former home of […]