A Familiar Sight



A familiar sight across the country: an abandoned and roofless Church of Ireland church. This one is in the parish of Kilfree, County Sligo and, according to the reliable Samuel Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland¬†of 1837, was ‘erected in 1826, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of ¬£600.’ It appears to have closed for services in the 1950s, but as so often the surrounding graveyard remains in use.